Now come to the main question that is bothering you from the beginning. Are you thinking about how you can select the best vacuum cleaner without any regrets? Every vacuum cleaner comes with different features such as size, type, usefulness, and other parts.
You can find various vacuum cleaners with different names that come from other brands. Now, look at the following vacuum cleaner buying guide to learn how you can choose the best vacuum cleaner to meet your demands. You should gather a general idea of the different types of vacuum cleaners.
However, not a big deal if you don’t have any ideas about the types of vacuum cleaners. In the vacuum cleaner buying guide, we have gathered the details of different kinds of vacuum cleaners for your help. We have also given some buying tips which may be instructive for you if you are purchasing your first vacuum cleaner. So, keep reading the ‘vacuum cleaner buying guide’ until you get satisfaction.
What do we mean by a vacuum cleaner?
A vacuum cleaner is an electrically operated debris suction machine. It is used to clean all those daily pesky dirt from the floor, carpets, and also from cushioned furniture. Yes, the dirt built up on that cushioned furniture is tough to clean out manually, so vacuum cleaners just suck those out with force.
So, you might be thinking if one can clean the house manually then why would they spend on a machine to depend on cleaning?
- Firstly, vacuum cleaners ease up the cleaning process by lessening the time manual cleaning would take.
- Secondly, their suction power is so strong that they even suck in all the health issue-causing allergens and microorganisms from your house. This is not possible with manual cleaning.
- Thirdly, If you have small babies or the elderly in your house, then you should consider buying a vacuum cleaner because their health is more vulnerable to dirt and debris.
Types of vacuum cleaner:
When vacuum cleaners were just invented, they didn’t have so many options. As time evolved, they came out in different types for different sorts of work. The manufacturers kept in mind what your needs could be, and thereby have brought up ‘types’ to fit everyone’s needs. In this article, we will know about six types of vacuum cleaners.
1. Upright vacuum cleaner
! Tips: It is the best vacuum for carpet cleaning
Upright vacuum cleaners refer to the ones that can stand upright on their own on the ground without any support. But that is not it, their output is also remarkable than other types as mentioned by customers. Nowadays, the upright ones are best-selling in the market. However, if you don’t know what an upright vacuum cleaner holds, then keep on reading.
The upright cleaners are most effective when it comes to cleaning stuck-up hair piles and debris from the carpet. If you own a pet, you would know their hair is all over the carpet as it’s impossible to take out each of the hair strands sticking on the carpet. The broom even can’t clean them properly as the hair gets flown away in the air. Eventually, the hair is on your food, and you get the allergy and other health issues. Therefore, an upright vacuum cleaner’s power brush holds the weight of the entire vacuum. So, without having to put much force, the cleaner sucks out all the hair from the carpet with its own weight without letting it flow back again into the air.
When you should choose an upright vacuum cleaner?
If your house has carpet flooring mostly or all over, then it will be the best choice to choose an upright vacuum cleaner. We have already specified why upright ones are the best for your carpet; it will save your energy and time for cleaning the carpet manually. Even if you don’t own a pet, still a lot of debris gets accumulated into the fibers of carpets which stick tightly into the carpets. So, an upright cleaner will help you to deep clean your carpets without much effort.
Also, if you own a pet you should own an upright cleaner. Because pet hair is highly allergic, it might cause cough, sneeze, and other respiratory problems if those roam around your house. Upright vacuum cleaners should be a solution to thoroughly suck in those hair strands from your upholstery, carpet, curtains, and floors.
Moreover, if you are suffering from back problems, then an upright vacuum cleaner will be helpful. Due to its upright position, you don’t have to bend your back to clean floors, or underneath your furniture.
For larger apartments, an upright vacuum cleaner is the best one. That is because their length can reach a wider portion of flooring without you having to bend over and over again.
- Excellent at deep cleaning carpet material
- Easy to store at any place due to its self-upright feature
- Costs less than other types of vacuum cleaners
- Does not require much pressure
- Most of the upright vacuums are noisy
- They are a bit bulky
2. Canister vacuum cleaner
! Tips: It is the best vacuum for rough base
A canister vacuum cleaner is one worth having. The compact and maneuverable design of this cleaner is its highest advantage. Canister vacuum cleaners are very lightweight and flexible to use under sleek house spaces with full control. With canisters, you can clean the stairs effortlessly with its detachable powerhead from the body. The weight of this cleaner is distributed equally all over, for which it does not feel tiring to hold it for too long.
Moreover, the cleaner has a very powerful suction power for which you don’t have to clean a single space more than once. You can save your time and electricity both with this. These types of vacuums can be easily held by your children if they help you in house cleaning since the entire cleaner is not being picked up.
A canister vacuum cleaner can be maneuvered as you like to reach certain areas in your house that are hard to reach with your hands. Because the long handle has a wide reach so that you can reach the steepest of places.
When you should choose a canister vacuum cleaner?
Canister vacuum cleaners would be a great option for people who do not have carpet flooring in their house; because the bottom of the vacuum makes it difficult to glide on the carpet. Cleaning bare floors with a canister will ease up your job.
Also, if your house has multiple floors, then you should consider buying a canister cleaner too because the separate body and powerhead make it easy to run through the stairs. The hose of these vacuums is very long and flexible so you can control it the way you want to clean the stairs.
If you have your baby sleeping and don’t want to disturb him with the vacuum cleaning noise, then opt for a canister vacuum cleaner. Because it will clean your house neatly without making those frustrating noises at all! Also, the light body structure makes this fitted to be carried by people of any age and gender.
If you want to save your time and always in a hurry, then a canister vacuum cleaner can be your best cleaning partner. Due to their high suction capability, they can pull in the dirt in one go, and do not require to clean a single place more than once!
- They are very lightweight to carry
- They are highly maneuverable
- They are compact in size, so easy to store
- Their hose is long from the plug point
- They make less noise
- They cannot be used to clean carpets due to their rough base
- Assembling is required before starting to use
3. Robotic vacuum cleaner
! Tips: It is the best vacuum for all kinds of surfaces
So, the robotic vacuum cleaners are already known by their name, which is they are auto vacuum cleaners. Thanks to those modern inventors who have put their time and effort to bring these robotic vacuum cleaners into the world. You don’t need to even apply your hands to clean your house if you own a robotic vacuum cleaner.
Now you might be wondering how the robotic vacuums will detect any dirt in the ground?
- Don’t forget this is a smart generation invention, so it has a dirt-detection feature that helps it to reach even the hardest of spaces where your hands or those bulky vacuum cleaners won’t reach.
- Their compact disc-shaped size makes them roam around the house and pull out any dirt from wherever they want.
Don’t worry they won’t get hit by any furniture in the house because they have smart bump detection features. These robotic vacuum cleaners work on any kind of surface, from hard floors like wood, tiles to carpets. Because they have multi-surface brushes that auto-adjust within the surface they are on.
After their charge is finished, all you need to do is charge them for a few hours, and that all on your part. Some of the robot vacuum cleaners even have smart Wi-Fi connectors that help you to command the cleaner to start cleaning from any place.
When you should choose a robotic vacuum cleaner?
Before you buy a robotic vacuum with so much money, you need to first think of the quality. And a good quality comes from a good brand, because not all of them will serve your expectations hence, you will be disappointed. So, robotic vacuum cleaners are for those who are extremely sluggish at house cleaning. Yes, that’s a very generic point but it’s true.
Also, if you have a huge apartment that is impossible to clean manually every day due to your busy schedule, then opting for a robotic vacuum cleaner would be great. You will make a worthy investment in a robotic vacuum cleaner then!
If you are someone who has to stay out the entire day, then buy a robotic cleaner with a Wi-Fi connectible. With this, you can command your cleaner to stay anywhere how and when to clean. You just have to connect the smart features of the vacuum cleaner with your mobile phone, and you are good to go!
- Can clean by itself and does not need human control
- This has a dirt detector
- This is compact and can be stored at any place
- Work on every kind of surface
- It operates silently
- A robotic vacuum is generally way more costly than a regular vacuum
4. Stick vacuum cleaner
! Tips: It is the best vacuum for flexible usage
Stick vacuum cleaners are modern-day broomsticks with a suction powerhead. They are available both with cord and without cord for the user’s ease. Their flexibility cannot match with other vacuum cleaners because they can be used at any time without you having to set them up for hours. Their slim and compact design makes them fit at any place in the house. To the small apartment owners, these stick vacuums can be life saviors.
When the stick vacuum cleaners were first invented, their suction power was not that compelling. But as time went by, the manufacturers put a lot of effort to work on the suction. Also, the stick vacuums do not have base problems like the canister ones, so they can be used for every kind of flooring easily. The elongated sticks of the stick vacuum cleaners give you the advantage of wider reach to areas of flooring.
Stick vacuums are just electric brooms doing their work with less human effort. You just have to swell the broom with your hands and they will suck in the debris in one go, unlike traditional brooms which you have to move multiple times in a single area.
When you should choose a stick vacuum cleaner?
If you want, you can gift your grandma a stick vacuum cleaner. Since they are more familiar with traditional broomstick cleaning, they will be able to relate with a stick vacuum cleaner due to their similarity. Moreover, stick vacuum cleaners do not require any installation or assembling, just open from the box and get ready to clean.
If you buy a cordless one, you might have to change the battery as required or have to charge it. Also, the cord ones are great too. If you think your house doesn’t get much dirty, then you can also opt for a stick vacuum cleaner due to its low suction power. They are extremely lightweight and easy to use due to their construction like a stick, but somehow do not serve much sucking power.
Also, if your house is very small and the storeroom even smaller where you can’t store those bulky and baggy vacuum cleaners, then you should highly consider buying a stick vacuum cleaner. With an affordable price range, you will be able to get some good-quality stick vacuums!
- They have a slim and compact design
- Easy to maneuver
- Has a wider reach of areas
- They work great on multiple flooring
- The suction power is improved but not commendable for deep cleaning
5. Handheld vacuum cleaner
! Tips: It is the best vacuum for travel-friendly usage
Do you tend to spill things often? Then you must be acknowledged to handheld vacuum cleaners with which you can clean those spilled out salt, or sugar anytime without having to carry those bulky vacuum cleaners. Handheld vacuum cleaners are quick and convenient to use with theirs lightweight and easy-to-use features. You can either buy a battery-run one or an electricity-run one according to your convenience.
We think a battery-run handheld vacuum cleaner can be more beneficial, because what if you get a power cut at that very moment of cleaning. The convenient handle gives you the fullest control of where to clean the most. You can also clean your car’s interior or exterior with this handheld vacuum cleaner.
Their single-piece design makes them portable, so you can stack this up in your packing bag while you travel if you have the knack to clean everything. Their compact design makes them able to fit at any corner of your house. Feel free to keep it at your reach distance so that you can get to the job easily.
When you should choose a handheld vacuum cleaner?
If you want to use a vacuum cleaner for multipurpose cleaning, then you should choose to buy a handheld vacuum cleaner. With this, you can easily clean a wide range of things such as floors, furniture, car’s interior, etc. You have your control over it for being handheld. Since they do not have those extra weights of bulky bags, so they can be turned on and be used at any time.
If you have to change your house frequently, then you can carry a handheld vacuum effortlessly without requiring extra space. Their lightweight and petite construction make them portable and travel-friendly. So, tuck them inside your travel bag and get ready to go.
Due to the dirt accommodating cups being small in size, handheld vacuum cleaners are not made for cleaning huge particles such as leaves, also you can’t clean your entire house hand holding this vacuum cleaner. They work great on short piles of dirt. So, if you think your house goes well without deep cleaning, then you can buy a handheld vacuum cleaner at an affordable price than others.
- They are very compact and lightweight
- Gives you great control of usage
- Portable to be carried everywhere
- Works to deep clean carpets too
- Their powerheads are wide, so they can’t reach narrow spaces
- Not for heavy cleaning due to small pockets
6. Central vacuum cleaner
! Tips: It is the best vacuum for convenient usage and 5X more suction power
Central vacuum cleaners are ones where the dirt collector or the body of the vacuum is fitted centrally somewhere in your house, and you clean the house by pulling the hose. The hose of a central vacuum cleaner can be as long as 30 feet! So, you take just the hose with the powerhead and don’t have to be bothered about the rest of its body.
The body of these central vacuums is very spacious, so they can accumulate huge piles of dirt together. So, you don’t have to empty the dirt collector as frequently as you would do with an upright or canister vacuum. They are just a one-time fix, once you install it, then you are ready to enjoy cleaning light-handed with the hose and the attachment only.
A central vacuum cleaner is proven to have five times more suction power than a regular vacuum cleaner. But does that mean they are noisy? No, they are even quieter than most vacuum cleaners in the market. However, the only concern that homeowners get regarding a central vacuum cleaner is wielding the 30-foot long hose, which is definitely hard work.
When you should choose a central vacuum cleaner?
If you love quiet cleaning, if you love flexible, yet crisp cleaning, then you should choose a central vacuum cleaner for yourself. The efficiency of their cleaning is more than what you would expect from a vacuum cleaner; just one area at a time is enough.
Also, if you are too reluctant to clean the vacuum bag, or you are simply a busy person, then a central vacuum cleaner will lessen that job for you. You can pick up any lazy day from the month, and clean it as you like. In other words, these kinds of vacuum cleaners require less maintenance.
Moreover, a central vacuum is more durable and long-lasting than other types of vacuum. They will serve you as a long time investment. These vacuum cleaners are just t one-time installation, then you will be tension-free for several years.
- Very convenient to use just with the hose
- Has 5X more suction power
- Delivers extremely quiet cleaning
- Reaches a wide space in the house with a long hose
- Dirtbag does not need frequent cleaning
- Wielding the hose is tough
- These are the most expensive forms of vacuum cleaners
What are the other varieties of vacuum cleaners you should know?
1. Vacuum cleaner: Bagged/Bagless
Bagged vacuum cleaners: Bagged vacuum cleaners are great for sucking in and filtering out all the forms of allergens present in the air. Then they are kept securely inside the bag without getting out anymore. Also, the bags are quite large which can carry almost two pounds of dirt, so it does not need frequent maintenance.
However, you might have to keep buying extra bags for replacement as long as the vacuum cleaner stays, which can be a burden for people.
Bagless vacuum cleaners: Unlike the bagged cleaners, these bagless vacuum cleaners won’t require frequent bag changing costs. The debris box can be cleaned very easily and again attached to the cleaner. Also, the bagless ones are environment-friendly because they don’t need changes in those polythene bags.
Bagless vacuum cleaners have more acceptance to users due to fewer maintenance features. Moreover, you can see through the box, and find out any important thing that has been vacuumed up from the floor.
However, the bagless cleaners need frequent cleaning, unlike the bagged ones because of the low-capacity of dirt.
Which one is better?
According to one’s convenience, both of them are good. But we think the bagless ones are more convenient for avoiding the hassle of replacing bags. If you clean your house every day, you won’t need to clean the dirt box daily due to low dirt buildup.
2. Wet and Dry vacuum cleaner
The fundamental feature of a wet and dry vacuum cleaner is that it is made to clean wet spills as well as dry ones. They have separate bags inside to distinguish between dry and wet wastes. This will save your cleaning time to a lot of extents.
Also, these kinds of vacuum cleaners suck out water from carpets and upholstery too, so that they can dry quickly. Their suction is much stronger than you could imagine.
However, the bad side of these types of cleaners is their cost is much higher, and they are very heavy to operate single-handedly.
Are wet and dry vacuum cleaners good to have?
We would say, for regular house chores, wet and dry vacuum cleaners will not be a great option to invest in. These are meant for huge office spaces or convention centers. Plus, it’s not worth carrying this amount of weight daily whereas you can clean the wet dirt simply with wipes!
3. Vacuum cleaner with HEPA Filter
A vacuum with HEPA filters does not come easily because they have to go through rigorous processes to make sure that they actually work. HEPA filters are meant to trap 99% of the allergens, microorganisms, and pollen from the air. Those who have babies or the elderly in their house are meant to have these types of vacuums because they are prone to dust-related allergies. Not every vacuum cleaner contains HEPA filters, you have to find one.
Making the right choice
So one might think will a vacuum with a HEPA filter be a worthy investment or not, because those are more expensive than the ones without. Then let us tell you it will be worth it. In this world of increasing pollution and dirt in the environment, we need a place where we stay out of contact with that hefty pollution of dust particles. And there is no better place than home for this. So, when are you buying a vacuum cleaner, why not invest a little more on the one with a very special feature.
You should consider the following factors while purchasing a vacuum cleaner:
Vacuum cleaners are a one-time investment, so you have to be very cautious about the details regarding it. It might sound easy to buy a vacuum cleaner, but you need to do a little study to know the things to be considered before buying one!
1. Types of flooring
Types of flooring matter while choosing a vacuum cleaner because not every vacuum cleaner is made to suit every type of flooring. There are some which work better on bare flooring, rather than carpets and rugs, and vice-versa. We suggest for homes with carpet flooring, there is no better option than an upright vacuum cleaner that will deep cleanse your high-piled carpets. And for floors such as wooden or tiled, the contribution of a canister vacuum cleaner is unmatched.
If you buy a vacuum cleaner for your floor, then this will ensure a faster and effective cleaning than wasting your time thinking of why the cleaner does not work.
2. Noise level:
Nobody would like a vacuum cleaner that makes those ear-bursting noises while operating. In a generic term, a heavy-duty or high-powered vacuum is supposed to produce higher noise. But that is not the case now. The new improved versions of vacuums are built up with low-noise motors that enable quieter operations
So, you should invest in the newest versions of vacuum cleaners of any brand. But keep in mind, there might be slight bits of noises still present there which is insignificant.
3. Availability of Spare parts/Accessories:
It might be possible that your vacuum cleaner parts are not available in any of your nearest mechanic stores. So, what would you know with your vacuum cleaner, throw that away? No don’t do that, rather you should be acknowledged of those parts and their importance so that you can buy your required ones and stock them for your vacuum cleaner.
- Crevice Tool: a crevice tool is such an accessory that needs a tough search because all the nozzles of all crevice tools will not fit the particular shape or size of your vacuum cleaner. Therefore, its availability is an important part to be considered.
- Upholstery Tool: an upholstery tool might be available everywhere because everyone has got furniture upholsters in their households. With vacuum, the common upholstery tool includes a cleansing fabric brush. If you think your furniture needs extra cleaning, then make sure you have one of them.
- The Dust Brush: More or less, everyone has a kind of dust brush in their house for dust cleaning. So, it is widely available in any kind of household store or departmental store.
- Bare Floor Brush: you don’t even have to look out for a bare floor brush because it is simply referring to a broomstick. A broomstick is there at everyone’s house and if you need to buy one, then there are departmental stores near you from which you can easily get one broomstick
- Carpet Tool: for finding carpet tools you might have to run a bit here and there, as they are not widely available. Online you might find one, but that might not be fitted for your vacuum cleaner. So, make sure if your vacuum cleaner includes carpet tools, then stock it up while you are already buying the cleaner.
4. Know about the Performance/Collection capacity:
Depending on the size of your house, or how much dirt your vacuum cleaner has to collect on average, choose your vacuum cleaner. The bigger the house size means you will need a more capacious dirt collection box of vacuum cleaners. If you also clean your garden and balcony full of leaves, then also you would need a largely capacious vacuum cleaner.
You also have to clean the box on that basis which falls into the maintenance of the cleaner. If you don’t empty the box when it is about to get full, this will slow down the operating speed of the vacuum cleaner.
5. Types of Power Source:
Before you buy a vacuum cleaner, it is important to get educated about the power sources first. Because the suction power is dependent on the power source of a vacuum. Even though solely the vacuum suction power does not determine the ‘cleaning ability of a vacuum cleaner, other things should be taken into account too. Some types of common power sources are:
- Amperage Ratings: In short known as the amp rating, it is mainly the showcase of how much electricity your vacuum cleaner is consuming. The amp ratings will surely determine how much electricity your vacuum cleaner is consuming. So, if you are not willing to heap your electricity bill up, buy a low amp-rated vacuum cleaner. Remember that the amp rate won’t determine the cleaning or suction power of the vacuum cleaner.
- Peak Horsepower: peak horsepower is fortunately no longer present in any modern-day vacuums because it was solely done to strengthen the product’s selling point. Little or not did it have any relation with the cleaning power or suction power or anything of the vacuum cleaners.
- Wattage: wattage simply means the input power of the motor of your vacuum. This can be used to compare the motor’s power and efficiency regarding cleaning. A vacuum cleaner having a minimal wattage of 120 volts is necessary for the smooth operation of the motor. However, if the volt is below that, then you should consider buying another vacuum cleaner.
- Air Watts: air watts are being used by modern vacuum cleaner manufacturers to measure the machine’s output rate because that is crucial to how efficiently it can serve you for which you have bought this. With air watts, you can compare vacuum cleaners of different brands to know which will suit you the best. Air watts are nowadays most commonly seen in central vacuum cleaners, but other types are also adopting this feature.
- Sealed Suction: if you buy a wet and dry vacuum cleaner, then you should pay attention to its sealed suction. Because it refers to how many inches can the motor lift 1 inch of water in a vertical position. The more rating, the better will be its water lifting capacity!
- Air Flow: this one is by far the most important factor to consider because it is the heart of a vacuum cleaner, which is the airflow of its suction. It is generally measured in cubic feet per minute, and the more this amount will be, the better a vacuum’s suction power will be. The airflow of a vacuum is determined by both the motor of the vacuum and the resistance of the filter system.
So, you should definitely look for a vacuum with comparatively higher airflow.
6. Cleaning Feature/capacity:
If you buy a battery-powered vacuum cleaner, you need to make sure the cleaning duration or capacity it holds. Because different vacuum cleaners have different capacities. If your house is big and you buy a low-powered one, then you will have to charge it in between. And a vacuum cleaner having a draining battery will not provide that force of suction too.
Also, look out for some thoughtful features in a vacuum cleaner, such as the lightweight structure, because they are easy to work with. Also, their flexibility that will help you to maneuver the hose or an adjustable handle according to your comfort.
7. Warranty Period:
The more a vacuum cleaner would indeed cost, its warranty will be slightly more. However, the warranty can be the last factor to consider because your budget comes before that. There are good quality vacuums that come on a lower budget too. If you can take care of your vacuum cleaner as instructed, then you won’t be needing the warranty card in years.
8. Using Convenience:
The use of convenience for a vacuum cleaner will save you time and energy. So, choose your vacuum cleaner wisely. Suppose, if your house mostly has furniture here and there, then buy a cleaner that will be able to reach the bottom of them. Also, if you live in a duplex house, then a canister or stick vacuum cleaner will help clean the stairs.
Moreover, the use of convenience highly depends on the type of vacuum cleaner you want to invest in according to your workload and other factors.
9. Replacement Filter Facility:
If your vacuum cleaner has HEPA filters built-in, then it is a major part of the cleaner. By any chance, if it gets damaged, then it must be replaced. There can be so many reasons why the HEPA filter might get damaged. Therefore, make sure this replacement facility is available, or else your vacuum cleaner’s half of life will end there.
10. Vacuum Cleaner Brand:
Since we have come to know the six major types of vacuum cleaners above, so you might be thinking about what some of the brands are that you can explore for a vacuum cleaner. Even though there are loads of brands for each one of the types, but to be short we want to discuss a few brands collectively so that you can go through them.
- Miele’s Complete C3 can be the brand to look out for as a canister vacuum cleaner.
- iRobot Roomba 675 can be the best option for a Robot vacuum cleaner
- Shark Apex Upright can be a good-quality upright vacuum cleaner with HEPA
- Oreck Magnesium Bagged is a lightweight upright vacuum cleaner for cleaning large carpet piles.
Was our article about vacuum cleaners resourceful enough? We guess so; because we have provided A-Z information about the vacuum cleaner in our vacuum cleaner buying guide so that you don’t make mistakes while investing in them. Now you can pick anyone that fits your needs and buy from at least a well-known brand.
In our busy lives, vacuum cleaners have helped save humans some time from cleaning the house for an entire day. And remember that having the expensive one won’t do unless it has the required features for your cleaning purpose. So, choose and invest in your vacuum cleaners wisely!