Is your just-bought vacuum cleaner not working? Are you planning to buy a new one without the vacuum cleaner repair? But have you checked whether it has a repairable problem? This is what happens mostly with most vacuum cleaner owners that they want to replace their vacuum cleaners before their actual expiration date because they found an issue with them.
You may think the problem will re-arise if fixed, which is why you may feel comfortable buying a new one. Whereas, a vacuum cleaner if used with caution and fixed in the right direction can last up to 10-15 years. We will show you ways today how you can save your money by repairing your vacuum cleaner at home!
8 Classic vacuum cleaner repair ways:
Irrespective of any brand, the ways that we are going to tell can be implemented on any vacuum cleaner. These are pretty generic ways so that all of our readers benefit from them.
The first and foremost step is to change the socket. It might happen that the socket you use daily has stopped working. Most problems start from here, so replace or fix the defective socket first. Using the vacuum cleaner in an unstable power source can be hazardous to its mechanism.
1. For loss of suction:
This is probably the most unwanted problem for a user of a vacuum cleaner. Suction is the most important feature of a vacuum cleaner, and when it shows malfunctioning, then immediately needs repair.
Firstly, the problem might arise due to clogging of the brush roll resulting in excessive dirt and hindering the suction. To repair this:
- First, turn off the vacuum, and open the rollers
- Look out for any large gatherings of hair or debris
- Pull them out with hands, or use sticks for steep parts without damaging the bristles.
Next, detach the hose to examine if there is any large debris or clogged dirt preventing the suction. Put a torchlight through it, and watch for those and clean it. Then check the dirtbag, because full dirtbags will lessen the power of suction.
2. For elimination of black air from the back:
This problem is somewhat like the previous one. When your vacuum cleaner eliminates black or smelly air when the canister becomes full. When you don’t clean the dirt cup for a long time, the air is followed by a stinky smell. You can simply empty up the dirtbag before it reaches the limit before it starts to eliminate black air.
3. For the inability of picking up anything from the floor:
This simply means you are operating your vacuum cleaner in the wrong mode. A vacuum cleaner’s height needs to be adjusted with the type of flooring it needs to clean, or the size of debris it needs to suck in. Therefore, in this case, there is no repair required, rather you change the mode. The thin the flooring, the close the vacuum cleaner should be.
This problem arises mostly with new users and they think there is an issue with the vacuum. So, don’t rush immediately if you face such problems with your vacuum cleaner, rather have an eye on the setting mode. If the setting is right, then figure out other possible aspects.
4. For burning smell:
Now there are many reasons why your vacuum clearly disperses a burning smell. You don’t have to worry about it. The vacuum cleaner works with many mechanisms that provide multiple functions. Let us discuss how you can fix some problems related to burning:
- Examine the belt below: if your vacuum is eliminating the burning smell, there are high chances that the belt has got tangled with chunks of hair and debris. So, detach the belt and clean it up. If your vacuum has a rubber belt, then get it changed once or twice a year.
- Examine the roller brush: due to excessive usage of the vacuum cleaner, the roller brush might malfunction for which a burning smell eliminates. So, make sure you check the brush roll and get it fixed if you find such a problem.
- Examine the motor: if there is a motor malfunctioning even after the brush roll and belt seems ok, then a burnt smell can come off. In such cases, take the vacuum cleaner to a mechanic for repair if you aren’t experienced in all these works.
- Blocked filters: with blocked filters presence, puts excessive pressure on the motor. It causes the motor to burn, hence, eliminates the burning smell. So, replace the filters if the blockage is impossible to mend.
5. For noise:
When your vacuum cleaner is making boisterous noises than usual, there might be something wrong with the internal parts. There might be a blockage in the air pipe or leakage. You should repair the belts, suction, or the hose to deal with the extra noises.
6. For damaged cord:
If the power cord has leaked, then it needs to be replaced quickly, or else it will hamper the suction power. Or, if there is no leakage, then make sure the cord is connected well to the vacuum cleaner.
7. For on/off switch malfunctioning:
If the on/ off switch shows malfunctioning then it needs replacement from the mechanic. If you know about switches, then you might replace them by yourself after buying a similar model of the switch.
8. For smelly filters:
Smelly filters are one of the common problems with filtered vacuum cleaners. If the filter is non-replaceable, then clean the filters with baking soda and water to prevent or get rid of the smell.
What are the most commonly overlooked problems that cause a vacuum cleaner to malfunction?
If you want to prevent the frequency of your vacuum cleaner repairing, then you should not overlook these simple things. Interestingly, people always overlook these simple things thinking they aren’t an issue.
- Check the power input of your plug: a vacuum cleaner works with a certain voltage. When it does not get the required power to operate, and constant fluctuations occur, this slows down the power of the suction. The motor power loss also starts from overlooking this issue.
- Empty the dirtbag before it gets filled: when the dirtbag gets full, it will dismantle the functioning of the vacuum cleaner. Hence, always empty the dirt cup when it fills by ¾.
A thing to remember is that a machine will serve you the longest if well taken care of. You should always take all the necessary precautions for using it so that you can prevent it from getting in the worst condition. Repairing minor problems is not a big deal, and everyone can do it. But if you think you cannot, then take it to a mechanic. Or else, you will have to pay some cost if you fix it wrong.
The key to repairing the vacuum cleaner is to know first where the problem is. Then the rest processes will get easy. So, if your vacuum cleaner is going through any problem, just try fixing it with our 8 classic vacuum cleaner repair ways.